Those who own a Nokia N9 handset regardless of their place of residence now can download PR 1.3 update, which comes with more than 1000 changes addressed to all aspects of the phone. There were many bugs and people who had bought this phone were waiting for a software update to fix them. But the company was silent for a long time leaving its users in sufferings. At the moment, none of them can complain about Nokia and MeeGo team because they did their best to make the N9 look ideal. I am talking in this way because PR 1.3 update is the last creation of the team — they’ve left Finns as the head of the MeeGo project, Sotiris Makrygiannis announced.
This team has made such devices as the N770, N800, N810, N900, N950 and N9, the housing of which is currently used on the Lumia handsets. On the whole, the aforementioned devices were the first “Internet tablets” for Nokia, that’s why Maemo forum currently holds a thread where various people can join in and send their ‘Thank you’ and best wishes to the great team.
MeeGo’s heritage will be controlled by Samsung and Intel with their upcoming Tizen operating system. Thus, this platform doesn’t die and will be something like a “just in case of fire.”
As to the update itself, Nokia said the following:
As you might have noted already, we have now started rolling out a new update for N9 to 40.2012.21-3. This software release brings you over 1000 quality improvements, including Mail, Facebook, and Twitter, as well as several small network and connectivity improvements. For more information on the update, you can check out http://swipe.nokia.com/.
The update will be released in waves during the next few weeks, firstly to non-branded variants and later on for other variants as well. When an update is available a notification with the icon is shown in the Events
view. Select the notification to view and install the update. Enjoy!
Digging in the net I found several important changes coming with the update:
- file upload now seems to work using the default browser
- video decoding got improved
- UI feels alot smoother now
- Beep profile has an Icon on status bar and standby screen
- It seems that wireless networks are found much faster than before. In addition the device sees more networks than with PR1.2
- Fix for GNOME Bug 662125 – Sharing uses 100% CPU if a client requests a lot of small slices from a media file, most visible symptom is choppy video playback
- Compatibility fix for XBox360 (GNOME Bug 664184): Previously showed a single song up to 5 times in the “All Songs” list
- better NFC support with C7
- Inception 0.1 security hole got fixed (but there is Inception 0.2 already)
- Swipe resistance fix for RSS reader app
- “Fenix not responding” message was renamed to “Mail not responding”
- certificate-based access in MfE works now
- Swype keyboard works again properly in terminal (was broken on pr1.2)
- The browser top sites selection seems to be less laggy coming up
- Music Player widget on Lockscreen have little shadows at its font. it works nicely with bright wallpaper
- Camera improvements (out of centre focusing and improved autofocus in low light)
- New fonts again
- Nokia Maps positioning is a lot faster when in indoor
- Twitter app now support timeline & mentions streaming
- The weather widget background on the notification screen is now transparent
- Copy/Paste text is more precise now to select
- Nokia Music store payment bug fixed
- Various minor performance and layouting fixes were made for the application icons and folders
- Bookmarks were opened using the previous default browser after changing the default browser
- Application icons were sometimes incorrectly shown after unsuccessful application installation
- Some default application names were truncated in some languages
- Notification timestamps were incorrect in certain scenarios
- Profile selection did not work after using headset
- Lock screen did not update when connected to a TV
But it’s not all as I have also found a video showing the Nokia N9 running MeeGo 1.3.